I made this cake for the Cub Scouts Blue and Gold banquet. My favorite part was the dripping gold ganache. This cake has midnight blue buttercream, gold ganache, chocolate boy scout logo toppers, blue and gold moon and stars sprinkles, gold meringue cookies, and blue and gold bark!
The trick to making the gold ganache is to start with a yellow ganache. Add yellow food coloring to the cream while it is heating up. You can check out my post on how to make colored ganache here.
Yellow chocolate ganache
- 12 ounces of yellow candy melts
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- yellow food coloring
After you make the ganache and drip it down the cake, paint it with gold luster dust. You can also check out my tutorial on how to make perfect ganache drips here. Add a tiny bit of vodka or extract to a small bowl, then add the luster dust and mix it up till it is a thick paste. Then paint it on top of the ganache! I think it looks so beautiful!
- 8 ounces white chocolate or blue candy melts
- sprinkles of your choice. I used blue and yellow sprinkles.
- Place the chopped chocolate in a shallow metal bowl.
- Nestle the bowl over a small pot of warm (110 to 115 degrees F) water, and allow to stand for 15 minutes, stirring with a silicone spatula every 5 minutes and changing out the water as it cools. (Take care not to allow any water to drip into the bowl of chocolate.)
- When all the chocolate is melted and smooth, pour it onto a parchment-lined baking sheet, and smooth it out into a thin, even layer with an offset spatula.
- Sprinkle with desired toppings.
- Allow to set/harden.
- Break into shards.
Cub Scout Logo Chocolates
To make these, I bought a small cub scout mold at my local cake supply store. You can probably find them online. I filled the molds up with melted blue candy melts and put them in the freezer. After about 20 minutes or less they were ready. I painted gold luster dust on the tops of the logos. I used the left over gold luster dust from painting the gold drips.
Other cakes with dripping ganache you might enjoy!