My son is the only kid I know who celebrates his half birthday. It started years ago when he asked me when his half birthday was. He just couldn’t wait to be able to say he was 4 1/2. So this year he wanted a half birthday party lol. Since he is our only child and I only get to make one cake for him a year I agreed to make him a small party and a cake! His favorite color is blue so I made the cake with as much blue as I could! I based my cake on some of my idol Katherine Sabbath’s cakes. I love how she makes colorful drips and tall chocolate bark pieces!
This cake has a few components. First is the cake itself, the frosting, the colored ganache, the meringue kisses, and the chocolate bark shards.
Chocolate Dobash Cake
- eggs, separated
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups cake flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 2 8-inch pans.
- Beat egg whites until frothy; gradually beat in 1/2 cup sugar until stiff.
- Sift together remaining 1 cup sugar, flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa. Make a well in center; add oil and half of milk. Beat until well-blended at medium speed. Add remaining milk and egg yolks; beat until smooth.
- Fold mixture into egg whites. Pour batter into pans and bake 30 to 35 minutes. Cool, then slice each layer in half to make 4 layers.
- 1 1/2 cup sweetex or crisco
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon meringue powder
- 2 pounds powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup milk or water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- mix the sweetex, salt, and meringue powder with electric mixer to blend aobut 30 seconds
- Add the milk in the bowl, then add the sugar and blend by hand with a spatula until the sugar is absorbed into the liquid
- put bowl back on the mixer and beat on medium speed for 2-5 minutes until smooth and a little fluffy.
- if mixture is too stiff, you can add more liquid. if it is too runny add more powdered sugar
For the Baked Meringues: recipe from Sweetapolita
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- 3/4 cup (150 g) superfine sugar
- Pinch of cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Powdered food colour (petal dust) in turquoise and pink (or other desired shades)
- Edible glitter in white, optional
I bought extra long candles so I could cut one in half and make the 5 and a half candles lol! He loved it as you can see!