To make this cake I made two 8 inch round cakes using my WASC white cake recipe, I made two batches of my buttercream icing. I crumb coated the cake and let it sit in the freezer for 20 minutes. I followed the directions below, except I used three decorating bags with red, blue, and white frosting.
Here are the steps to use the petal technique
- Cover your cake with a crumb coat (very thin layer of frosting).
- Prepare a decorating bag with a large round tip (Wilton #12).
- Pipe a vertical line of dots on the side of your cake.
- Use a small spatula to press down on each dot, dragging to the right.
- Make another line of dots, just to the right of your petals. Repeat.
- For the top of the cake, I did the same technique in circles.
A spiral would have worked even better.
- FYI, this cake will have a “back side”. When you get back to where you started,
you will have a seam where the petals meet up.