Mango’s are in season now and I am so happy because I love Mango’s! I have always wanted to try making a mango cake, so here is my attempt! A light fluffy vanilla sponge cake topped with a creamy mango mousse, and a mango mirror glaze on top, surrounded with lady fingers and garnished with fresh whipping cream, mango’s and mint leaves.
This is what the cake looked like without the lady fingers. I used a pastry ring and acetate paper to make the cake keep its shape.
I made homemade mango puree and you can see little pieces of mango inside the glaze on top. Next time I would blend the puree longer so there would be np pieces inside. It is supposed to have a mirror like surface when it is done right.
Each bite is filled with Mango, so fruity and delicious. Perfect for summer.
I found the lady fingers at Vons. They were really hard to find, and I thought about making my own lady fingers. I will have to save that for next time.
- 5 eggs
- 3/4 Cup sugar
- 1 cup plus 2 1/2 tsp flour
- 1/2 cup mango puree
- 3 tsp gelatin
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 1/8 mango puree
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp gelatin
- whipping cream
- mango pieces
- mint leaves
- preheat oven to 350
- beat eggs and sugar until frothy
- gently add the sifted flour and mix well
- pour the mixture on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- place in oven and bake 13 min.
- remove and let cool
- cup the sponge cake to the size of the round frame used. ( I used an 8 inch pastry ring)
- line the frame with lady fingers soaked in simple sugar or mango juice, or you can wait and put the lady fingers on the outside after the cake is done.
- bloom gelatin in water
- in a saucepan, heat the mango puree then put in the softened gelatin and mix well. let cool
- in a bowl beat the egg whites
- in a saucepan, heat the water with the sugar until it reaches 110 C to obtain a syrup
- Drizzle the syrup with beaten egg whites mixing in mixer at low speed
- Increase speed to the maximum and continue beating for 5 minutes to obtain an Italian meringue
- gently add whipped cream with mango and meringue
- bloom gelatin in water
- in a saucepan, heat 1/2 mango puree with sugar, when the mixture starts to boil, put the gelatin and mix
- then add the remaining puree stir, and let cool 15 minutes at room temperature
- pour the mirror on the mango mousse and refrigerate for 5 hours
- decorate top with mango, whipping cream and mint leaves
Here are some other fruit filled cakes you might like