This triple berry cake is a three layer white almond sour cream cake, filled with whipped cream and strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries. It is frosted with cream cheese whipped cream, and topped with strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries.
I made this cake for my Aunt Teresa’s birthday! At first I wasn’t going to use a dam, but now I am glad I did. It kept the berry filling in nicely, with no bulges. It held up well during the photo shoot by my sister Wendy, and also in the car ride. I used two different kinds of buttercream for the dam. I made the first with buttercream frosting, and the other with blackberry Swiss meringue buttercream. I also put some of that underneath the berries.
Here, you can see the blackberry Swiss meringue buttercream dam that I used. I simply piped a ring of buttercream about 1/2 inch from the edge of the cake. I spread whipped cream on the bottom, then filled it up with fresh berries. After that, I covered the top of the filling with more whipped cream. There should be berries in every bite!
Summer is the perfect time to make this cake. The berries are all in season, and the flavor is sweet and fresh.
Photography by Wendy Cox Photography
Triple Berry Layer Cake
- 2 white cake mix
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 8 egg whites
- 2 2/3 cups water
- 4 TBS vegetable oil
- 2 cups (16 oz..) sour cream
- 2 tsp. clear vanilla
- 2 tsp. almond extract
- 1 eight oz. package reduced fat cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp almond extract
- 1 quart of heavy or regular whipping cream
White Almond Sour Cream CAKE
Whipped Cream Icing
- Mix all dry ingredients by hand using a whisk in a very large mixing bowl.
- Add the liquid ingredients and beat on low speed for 2-3 minutes, until well combined.
- Bake at 300° (time depends on the size pans used*)for 20 minutes then at 325 for 10 minutes. Make sure you grease and flour your pan, and USE BAKING STRIPS! This is the trick to get a crust free cake, and level on top. If you don't have cake strips use cut up towels soak in water and safety pin around the cake pan. I measured out one and a half cups of batter for each pan. I cooked each layer by itself in the oven. This recipe made five 8 inch cakes.
- Combine all ingredients except the whipping cream by using a regular or stand mixer.
- Whip until it is smooth and creamy.
- While the mixer is still running, slowly add the cream.
- Continue to whip until stiff peaks form.
- Place the first layer of cake on top of a cake board with a bit of frosting to secure.
- Pipe a dam with buttercream frosting about 1/2 inches from edge of cake.
- Fill cake with strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries, and frost a layer of whipped cream over the top. Be careful not to go over the top of the dam.
- Place second layer of cake and repeat steps 1-3. With this cake recipe you will have about 5 eight inch cakes. You can use all cakes to make a 5 layer cake if you wish. If you do this, I would double the whipped cream recipe. For this cake, I used 3 cake layers.
- Frost the cake with whipped cream and let set in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Decorate the top of the cake with berries and flowers if you like. Also you can swipe the sides of the cake with an offset spatula to make the color texture.
Whipped cream icing
To assemble the cake: