First I baked the chocolate cake and torted, filled, and stacked the cake.
- •1 c. salted butter, at room temperature
- •3½-4 c. powdered sugar
- •1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- •1 tsp. vanilla extract
- •2-3 T. whole milk, half-and-half, or cream
- With an electric mixer (either hand or stand), beat butter until pale, about 3-4 minutes on medium.
- Scrape down the bowl.
- Add 3½ cups powdered sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla, and 2 tablespoons of milk.
- Mix on low until powdered sugar and cocoa powder are incorporated.
- If the frosting is too dry, add another tablespoon of milk. If the frosting is too wet, add powdered sugar 2 tablespoons at a time until it reaches a spreadable consistency
I made a dam of thick chocolate buttercream frosting around the edge of the cake and filled it with cookies and cream filling.
I repeated this for all of the layers. Next I covered the cake with chocolate buttercream frosting and covered the cake with black fondant. I always buy my black fondant because when you try to make it yourself, no matter how much black food coloring you use, it always turns out a dark gray and never completely black.
Next I took my fondant covered cake and put it inside a cardboard box with the side facing me open. I did this because I am going to splatter white food coloring and if I don’t do this it will get all over the walls, table and everything else! I put white food coloring in a cup and used a brand new tooth brush. I dipped the toothbrush in the food coloring and used my finger to flick the brush and splatter the food coloring all over the cake to look like a galaxy of stars!
Next I cut out my fondant star wars letters. I cut them out backwards on a piece of wax paper so I could easily stick the letters to the cake using water and put them all on at once.
Next I wrote Happy Birthday Charlie with fondant and put it on the top of the cake along with some of his favorite Star Wars Lego characters!
Here is a picture of him at his party, he looks so cute! I hope this tutorial helps if you want to build a Star Wars Cake of your own!